Planning & Zoning Administration
Performs planning, zoning and environmental functions:
- Administers the zoning ordinance and manages land use applications by evaluating their consistency with adopted city policies
- Provides staff support to the Board of Zoning Appeals, Hampton Youth Commission, Planning Commission, and Wetlands Board
- Provides strategic master plans, the Hampton Community Plan (PDF), and policies to guide future development
- Contributes design assistance on development projects in special districts
- Contributes environmental expertise and reviews related to regulation and enforcement of Chesapeake Bay and wetlands protection requirements
- Coordinates with regional planning efforts
- Develops relationships with key stakeholder groups to build upon Hampton's historical strengths and assets to leverage new investment and partnerships
- Proposes amendments to codes and ordinances to comply with state law and ensures agreement with the Hampton Community Plan
- Tracks Census, demographic, and other community data measures and trends
Aug. 6, 2021 - The city's Resilient Hampton effort has been recognized with an Honor Award in Master Planning and Urban Design from the New Orleans chapter of the American Institute of Architects. Read on...
Feb. 3, 2021 - Community Development is now offering online appointment scheduling to book meetings, reviews, or discuss permits. Read on...
Dec 3, 2020 - Dec. 3, 2020 - Hampton has become the third municipality in the country to use an innovative form of financing to fund three major projects aimed at reducing flooding and pollution. Read on...
Dec. 19, 2018 - Hampton could be the first in Virginia to take on pioneering projects that reduce flooding and prevent pollution using environmental impact bonds, a funding tool leveraged through the Chesapeake Bay Foundation and Quantified Ventures. See joint press release