Summer Youth Employment Program
The City of Hampton created a Summer Youth Employment Program that offers job opportunities within city and school departments, local businesses and non-profit organizations to youth and young adults in Hampton ages 16-24. The 10-week program gives participants summer work experiences cultivating their professional and personal career aspirations. All program participants are paid by the Office of Youth and Young Adult Opportunities. During the interview process we determine student interest and availability to match students with suitable host sites. We will also work to make placements based on the students’ Academies of Hampton program selection.
Dates: The deadline for students to apply is Feb. 23. Students participate in a pre-employment training week June 15-19 and can begin working at their host site June 20. The last day of employment for students will be Aug. 21.
- Interested participants must attend a Hampton city school or be a Hampton resident and submit an application. In the search field, enter "Summer Youth Employment Program Hire".
- Prospective candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview.
- Everyone accepted into the program must attend a parent/participant orientation and pre-employment training to develop soft skills and determine the best placement site.
- Previous experience not required to apply.
- Employees may work up to 20 hours per week and schedules will be based on the employer’s needs.
Interested in being an employer department or host site? Complete our online form. If your organization would like to be considered as a host site, the form below must be completed by 5 p.m. on Tuesday, March 31. Sites accepted in to the program will be notified by May 4.
Please note, forms must be completed for each work site within an organization.
Host site supervisors must also attend the following:
- Mandatory Host Site Training: May 21, 11:30 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Student Meet and Greet: June 18, 3-4 p.m.
- End of Year Program Recognition: Aug. 18
You can also volunteer with the Summer Youth Employment program as a job coach, training facilitator or guest speaker. Complete our volunteer form.