Firefighter Recruit I Responsibility Details
After training, Firefighter Recruit I employees will know how to:
- Respond to fire alarms and other emergency calls. Under supervision, lays out and connects hoses, and directs streams of water or extinguishment agents onto fires. Positions, raises, and climbs ladders to gain access to upper levels of buildings or to rescue individuals from burning structures. Carries out firefighting activities using tools and methods in a prescribed manner; creates openings in buildings for ventilation, ingress, or egress, using axes, crowbars, and other appropriate tools. Salvages and preserves property to minimize fire loss; protects property from water and smoke by use of waterproof salvage covers, smoke ejectors, and deodorants. Performs emergency lifesaving activities; administers emergency medical care. Performs clean-up activities following fire suppression operations.
- Provide emergency medical care to the sick and injured, including bandaging, splinting, administering oxygen, and performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Extricates patient from the scene using a stretcher, stair chair, and other approved methods of extrication and loads and unloads patients into and out of an ambulance. Transports patients to hospitals or convalescents to an approved destination and places ambulance back in service upon arrival. Sanitizes and decontaminates ambulance and equipment. When assigned, performs advanced life support and emergency medical services in the capacity of a trainee under the general guidance of a Medic/Firefighter.
- Perform assigned duties in maintenance of apparatus, quarters, buildings, equipment, and grounds. Sweeps and mops station house floors; cleans and clears driveway; police grounds and trims grass. Inspects all fire apparatus daily; checks crankcase oil level, observes coolant level in radiator, checks batteries and all warning signals; inspects tires and cleans body of trucks. Checks and accounts for mobile and portable radio communications equipment. Inspects all related fire tools and equipment daily. Cleans and paints equipment as necessary.
- Participate in drills, demonstrations, and courses in hydraulics, pump operation and maintenance, and firefighting techniques. Inspects buildings for fire hazards and compliance with fire prevention ordinances.
- Drive fire apparatus, EMS vehicles, and support vehicles to the scene of emergencies. Adjusts equipment as the situation demands at a moment's notice. Maintains proper operation of fire apparatus and other vehicles at all times. Informs fire communications dispatcher of status of emergencies via radio.
- If needed, perform the following: vehicle maintenance and station maintenance; maintains supplies, conducts inventories; prepares a variety of reports performs variety of training functions under the direction of a senior officer; and performs a variety of safety functions, such as conducting safety inspections and test, preparing safety materials and statistical reports and completion of accident reports.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.