Domestic Violence


In Virginia last year, nearly 29,000 victims of family violence sought services from shelter programs, and more than 7,000 were provided with emergency shelter. On the peninsula, nearly 11,000 nights of shelter were provided for 834 abused women and children. In 1996, the Hampton Police Division received 602 reports of family violence; 486 of them were between husbands and wives or boyfriends and girlfriends.


Family violence, known as domestic violence or wife beating, involves the systematic use of force, threats, and/or intimidation by any individual, male or female, upon another in order for the dominating person to have control over the victim. Family violence is any abuse between family or household members including physical, emotional, sexual and economic.

Transitions Family Violence Services, in conjunction with the Hampton Police Division, Hampton Commonwealth Attorney's Office, Hampton Department of Social Services, Hampton Court Services Unit and the Hampton Magistrate's Office; work together to provide services to those in need. Transitions Family Violence Services offers a 24 hour hotline, referral services, emergency sheltering, transitional sheltering, children's programs, counseling services, support groups and community and employment education.

Characteristics of an Abuser

  • Controls the victim physically, mentally and emotionally
  • Possessive and jealous over victim
  • Uses alcohol, drugs and battering as coping methods

Indicators of Abuse

  • Broken bones, bruises and scratches
  • Victim accepts responsibility for the abuse
  • Forbidden from using the phone, seeing friends alone, having access to money or getting a job

What You Can Do To Help

If you know someone who is being abused, help is available.

  • Call the police at 757-727-6111.
  • Call the Transitions Family Violence Services Hotline at 757-723-7774.
  • If injured, go to the emergency room and save evidence such as medical reports, photos and torn clothing.
  • If necessary, gather important documents and seek a safe place to stay.
  • To press charges, ask the magistrate's office to issue a warrant.
  • A protective order may be issued by the magistrate or the Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.