Benefits Overview, Holiday Schedule
The city is launching a step challenge from May 23-July 3 for employees. Everyone who participates will get a gift, there will be weekly prize drawings, and the walkers with the top 20 step counts will earn rewards. Registration is open May 9-29.
- Track your daily number of steps.
- Aim for a goal of at least 10,000 steps each day for a total of at least 21 days.
- Reach the goal to successfully complete the challenge as one of the top 20 steppers and win a prize.
- Click to register for the Wellness Challenge.
This is a summary of benefits associated with permanent, full-time positions. Benefits associated with other positions can be found with specific job listings.
Benefits begin on the 1st of the month following one full calendar month of employment in the following benefit plans:
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Reimbursement accounts
Health insurance is offered through Optima Health (757-552-7110 or 800-229-1199). For more information on the provider network and pharmacies, see the Optima Health website. The vision plan is offered through EyeMed Vision Care (1-800-843-3272). For more information, see the EyeMed Vision Care website.
Three dental plans are offered through Delta Dental (Delta Care, Delta Dental PPO, and Delta Dental PPO Plus) 1-800-237-6060. For more information, see the Delta Dental website.
Paid Vacation & Holidays
Employees begin accruing annual and sick leave immediately.
The 10 paid holidays each year are:
- New Year's Day
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day
- President's Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Veterans Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
- Employee's birthday
Other Employee Benefits
- The retirement plan is offered through the Virginia Retirement System (VRS 1-888-827-3847) and is a defined benefit pension plan. For more information, see the VRS website.
- Group life insurance is offered through the VRS and the carrier is the Minnesota Life Insurance Company.
- Tax deferred retirement plan 457 is offered through the ICMA Retirement Corporation (1-800-669-7400). For more information, see the ICMA-RC website.
- Medical / Dental and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts are offered on a pre-tax basis in order to reduce the amount of tax the employee pays.
- Bayport Credit Union is available to all City employees.
- Direct deposit into most banks is a convenient finance feature.
- Savings bonds are available to the City's workforce.
- Employees are covered for Workers' Compensation where appropriate.