When the waters of the Nansemond River recede each day at low tide, the wooden bones of ships are revealed. For centuries, canoes, schooners, steamships, and more plied the river to connect the Virginia port with a broader world. Today, their remains speak to that past.
Brendan Burke, President of the Maritime Heritage Chapter of the Archeological Society of Virginia, will present on research conducted on the Nansemond to research and understand a ghost fleet located near downtown Suffolk. Learn about bugeyes, about oyster wharves, and an industry that changed the face of the lower Chesapeake Bay.
Admission is free to museum members, $5 for non-members.
The Hampton History Museum is located at 120 Old Hampton Lane in Downtown Hampton. There is free parking in the garage across the street from the museum. For more information call 757-727-1102.