News Flash Home
The original item was published from 5/7/2014 11:16:08 AM to 5/23/2014 12:15:00 AM.

News Flash

Hampton History Museum

Posted on: May 7, 2014

[ARCHIVED] Historic Mulberry Island Topic of May 21 ‘Lunch in Time’

Dr. Chris McDaid, Fort Eustis archaeologist, will share with us the interesting history of Mulberry Island at the Hampton History Museum’s “Lunch in Time” program on Wednesday, May 21 at noon. The event is free and open to the public.

Mulberry Island is situated on the James River near Jamestown. Englishmen settled there soon after Jamestown was established in 1607. Bringing a supply of provisions, Thomas West, 3rd Baron De La Warr, intercepted the ships of the starving Jamestown colonists near Mulberry Island, as they were attempting to return to England. During the Civil War the Confederates under Gen. John B. Magruder built Fort Crawford there, as part of their line of defenses that stretched across the Peninsula from the James River to the York.

Fort Eustis, today the headquarters of the United States Army Transportation Corps and Doctrine Command (TRADOC), was opened on the island in 1923. The U.S. Navy’s “Ghost Fleet” of superannuated vessels is anchored below Mulberry Island.

At “Lunch in Time,” attendees are encouraged to bring a bag lunch. Dessert and beverages will be provided. The Hampton History Museum is located at 120 Old Hampton Lane in downtown Hampton, Virginia. There is plenty of free parking in the garage across the street. For more information, dial 757/727-1610, visit, or like Hampton History Museum on Facebook.

Facebook Twitter Email